International UsersIf you are located outside the United States, please note that this Site is hosted on our computer servers in the United States. Any personal information collected through this Site may be transferred to the United States and other countries that might not provide an equivalent level of protection as the data protection laws in your home country. Your use of this Site or submission of any personal information will therefore constitute your consent to the transfer of your personal information outside your home country.
Collection of Information
In addition, where appropriate, specific authorisations or consents may be obtained from time to time. For example, we may seek consent to use and share personal information after it has been collected in those cases where Starbucks wishes to use the information for a purpose not previously identified or for which the individual concerned has not previously provided consent.
In most cases, and subject to legal and contractual restrictions, an individual is free to refuse or withdraw his or her consent at any time upon reasonable, advance notice. It should be noted that in some circumstances, certain Starbucks products and services can only be offered if a person provides personal information to Starbucks. If you choose not provide us with any required personal information, we may not be able to offer the products or services requested. We will inform you of the consequences of the withdrawal of consent.
What Type of Information Does Starbucks Collect?Personal Information means information that can be used to identify an individual and includes:
- Name, address, phone number, email address, date of birth;
- Financial information, such as credit card number;
- Tender loaded onto the Starbucks Card through agents such as Coinstar; and
- Employment-related information, such as may be found on CVs, applications, background verification information or in employment references.
When you purchase goods at our stores through a Starbucks Card programme or otherwise, we collect information about the purchases you make.
Business contact information (e.g. office address, telephone number) is not considered personal information in certain jurisdictions.
Starbucks may also collect aggregated data, which is data from which the identity of an individual cannot be determined.
How Does Starbucks Use Personal Information?
Starbucks may use personal information provided orally or in writing (including via electronic media) by customers in order to:
- Process and manage your purchase of Starbucks products and services, including the purchases through Starbucks Card programmes;
- Respond to your customer service enquiries, post your comments or statements on any blog or other online forum maintained on the Site or take other actions in response to your enquiries or other online activities;
- Create personalised promotions by combining your personal information with non personal information about you, such as the amounts and types of purchases you make or any benefits you receive through Starbucks Card programmes.
- Communicate with you about your order or purchase, your Starbucks Card programme account, your Starbucks.com account, a contest or sweepstakes you have entered, a request for more information or your blog or any online forum posting;
- Communicate with you about specific jobs, job opportunities or general information about employment at Starbucks, in the event you have created a personal profile or submitted your CV online; and
- Communicate with you about our brands, products, events or other promotional purposes, including co-branded offers, if you have opted to receive such communications either by providing us with your email address on the homepage of Starbucks.com or by selecting communication preferences when you signed up for a Starbucks.com account or registered your Starbucks Card or joined any Starbucks Card programme. You can opt-out of receiving marketing information at any time by changing the settings of your communication preferences, by following the unsubscribe links on any marketing sent to you or by calling 1-800-STARBUC.
Is My Personal Information Shared with Third Parties?
We may arrange to have other companies’ marketing and promotions sent to you, but only if you have indicated in your communication preferences that you are interested in such communications.
We may also share information with companies that provide support services to us (such as credit card processors, mailing houses or web hosts), that help us market our products and services (such as email vendors) or our strategic partners. These companies may need information about you in order to perform their functions. These companies are not authorised to use the information we share with them for any other purpose.
We may disclose specific information upon governmental request, in response to a court order, when required by law, to enforce our corporate policies or to protect our or others' rights, property or safety. We do not provide information to these agencies or companies for marketing or commercial purposes.
Also, if you participate in any blog or other online forum on our Site, any personal information that you post on the website may be shared with other participants in the forum. In any of these situations, the recipient of the personal information may be located in the United States or another jurisdiction that may not provide an equivalent level of data protection to the laws in your home country.
In the event of a sale of some or all of our business, Starbucks may disclose personal information to those involved in a transfer of all or part of the assets or business. If such an event were to occur, Starbucks would strive to ensure that the recipient treat your personal information as described in this policy.
How Can I Change What Promotional Communications I Receive?
We may use your email address and other contact information provided to us through the Site or any Starbucks Card programme to send you promotional materials from us and, if you’ve opted in, from third parties. If you do not want to receive such promotional information, you can change your communication preferences and remove yourself from our email list at any time. If you have a Starbucks.com account please log in and go to the communication preferences page or call 1-800-STARBUC. If you’ve registered a Starbucks Card or enrolled in a Starbucks Card programme over the phone or provided your email address on our homepage, you may call us at 1-800-STARBUC and we will change your preferences over the phone. Please also note that even if you opt out of receiving promotional emails from us, we may still use your information to communicate with you for other purposes, such as orders, purchases, your Starbucks Card programme account, customer service responses and employment application related communications.
How Do I Remove or Modify My Personal Information?
Starbucks strives to ensure that any personal information provided and in its possession is as accurate, current and complete as necessary for the purposes for which we use that information.
If you have signed up for a Starbucks.com account either through joining a Starbucks Card programme or making a purchase, we have provided you with a means to log into your account and edit your personal information including name, postal address and phone number to ensure its accuracy at all times.
If you applied for a position at Starbucks, you can log into the personal profile you created for that purpose and make any necessary changes or updates there.
Starbucks permits access to and review of Personal Information we hold about an individual by the individual concerned. Starbucks reserves the right to decline access to Personal Information where the information requested:
- Would disclose the Personal Information of another individual or of a deceased individual;
- Would disclose business confidential information that may harm Starbucks or the competitive position of a third party;
- Is subject to lawyer-client or litigation privilege;
- Could reasonably result in serious harm to the treatment or recovery of the individual concerned, serious emotional harm to the individual or another individual or serious bodily harm to another individual;
- May harm or interfere with law enforcement activities and other investigative or regulatory functions of a body authorised by statute to perform such functions;
- Is not readily retrievable and the burden or cost of providing would be disproportionate to the nature or value of the information; or
- Does not exist, is not held or cannot be found by Starbucks.
- Where information will not or cannot be disclosed, the individual making the request will be provided with the reasons for non-disclosure.
- Where information will be disclosed, we will endeavour to provide the information in question within a reasonable time and no later than 30 days following the request.
- We will not respond to repetitious or vexatious requests for access. In determining whether a request is repetitious or vexatious, it will consider such factors as the frequency with which information is updated, the purpose for which the information is used and the nature of the information.
Why Does Starbucks Collect Website Use Information?
During your visit to Starbucks.com, we will collect certain website use information for a number of purposes, namely to:
- Make your access and shopping more convenient and efficient;
- Establish Site activity trends;
- Monitor Site performance; and
- Improve Site design and functionality.
You can choose to have your computer warn you each time a cookie is being sent or you can choose to turn off all cookies. You do this through your browser settings. Each browser is a little different, so look at your browser Help menu to learn the correct way to modify your cookie settings. If you turn cookies off, you won't have access to many features that make your site experience more efficient and some of our services will not function properly.
We also use pixel tags – tiny graphic images – to help us analyse your online behaviour, but we do not tie that behaviour to any personal information.
How is My Personal Information Secured?
Starbucks strives to maintain appropriate physical, technical and administrative security with respect to its offices and information systems so as to prevent any loss, misuse, unauthorised access, disclosure or modification of personal information.
We encrypt the pipe through which personal information, such as credit card numbers, is sent, using Secure Socket Layer (SSL) technology to ensure that your information is safe as it is sent over the Internet to our server. For more information about credit card security, please read our Frequently Asked Questions. While we strive to safeguard your personal information once we receive it, no transmission of data over the Internet or any other public network can be guaranteed to be 100% secure.
Information from Children
Starbucks.com is a general audience site that is not designed nor intended to collect personal information from children under the age of 13. Starbucks does not knowingly collect personal information from anyone under the age of 13, and does not use such information if it discovers that it is has been provided. To respect the privacy of children and to comply with the Children's Online Privacy Protection Act, children under the age of 13 should not provide any personal information on this Site. We ask that parents supervise their children while online.
Terms and Conditions
Please also visit our Terms and Conditions section that explains other terms governing the use of the Site and Starbucks Cards. For information regarding the mystarbucksidea.com site read the My Starbucks Idea Terms and Conditions.
Questions and Feedback
We welcome your questions, comments and concerns about privacy. Please send us any and all feedback pertaining to privacy or any other issue. Starbucks will investigate all complaints and, if a complaint is justified, we will take all reasonable steps to resolve the issue.
Starbucks Customer Relations can be contacted online, at (800) 235-2883 or by or writing to Starbucks Customer Relations, PO Box 3717, Seattle, WA 98124-3717.